Keeping Up With The King's Council: Day of Fasting and Prayer, Basketball and House History Competitions, and Budgets
This week's meeting opened in prayer led by Director of Finance Megan Starnes ('18) and rolled right into news, birthday wishes, and reviews. Director of Student Life Nick Swedick informed the council that Basketball Competition has been moved from Friday, November 4th to the next day, Saturday, November 5th. Further, the competition will be held at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn -- Baruch College, the competition's traditional venue, is unavailable that weekend. Swedick also reminded the houses of the upcoming GPA and House History Competitions. For February's House History Competition, each House will create a short film portraying their development to date. House History will take place on February 16th in Union Square's Regal Movie Theater.
Director of Spiritual Life Michael Martinez ('17) reminded the Council of the upcoming school-wide Day of Fasting and Prayer, scheduled for this Thursday, October 6th. Martinez invited students, faculty and staff to begin the day in prayer led by Dr. Thornbury at 8:15 AM on the steps of Federal Hall.
The Council debriefed Fall Picnic. Barton praised the fairness of the referees. Thatcher enjoyed the atmosphere and delicious food. Concerns included the shortage of water, rugged terrain (holes in the field), and the late start and long running-time of the Powderpuff tournament.
Student Body President Katherine Thompson
- Exhorted the team to keep the council office clean (“Don’t be trash, pick up your trash”).
- Encouraged everyone to attend the Thurday morning's time of prayer.
- Wished a "Happy Birthday," to the presidents of Anthony, Stephanie Pelski ('18), and Truth, Dorea Slagle ('17).
Director of Finance Megan Starnes
- Refreshed presidents on the elements of a timely and orderly budget. Live budgets are due October 1oth.
Director of Student Organizations Christina Markakis
- The Troubadour will be the first organization to request money out of the Organization Innovation Fund.
House of Bonhoeffer
- Requested red carpet at House History movie event.
House of Thatcher
- Gave an update on the House Future Committee, which will be meeting regularly to research fundraising opportunities for houses.
@TKCCouncilLive Tweet of the Week